Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Helping Hams Project: A worthy project, a worthy cause


My friend over at exskindiver does not just write beautifully, but blogs with a cause as well. I came across her blogpost on Helping Hams, a project that is all heart. Allow me, my dear readers, friends and colleagues to share with you Chesca's deep love for our misfortunate kababayans in Botokan, Quezon City. And because I sincerely feel that I wouldn't do justice in trying to express her feelings with regards to the plight of our brothers and sisters, and sons and daughters at Botokan, here is an unedited copy of her post on Helping Hams: A worthy project - A worthy cause.



I was always amazed that very young children from Botokan could walk around without their parents and not get lost.
These were toddlers, babies even-- darting across the streets in tattered clothes, half naked.
I lived not far away from these shanties that were without electricity or running water.


The other day, a comment was left on a previous post:

"we must recognize that the world is filled with both joy and sadness; that we must never forget that there is joy and sadness; and that we must try to live in joy without ever forgetting or denigrating the sadness which pervades our world.
I don't want to ignore the world's sadness. I don't want to lose sight of what is in front of my nose. I want to be joyful even as I am sad. I want to see the world as it is."~Glenn


I agree.
And I want to do something about it.
This is what the "Helping Hams" project is all about.
The plan is to be able to distribute as many hams as possible to the families in the Botokan area this coming December 2007.
Why hams? It is special filipino Christmas fare tradition and it does not need refrigeration.

As of today, Steve and I have set aside money to buy 100 hams.
100 hams for 100 families.
But we have 10 more months to make more.
You can help.
If you are interested in donating money,
please email me at chescasilva@yahoo.com
We know that it is not going to end poverty but a little bit of ham might make a child's christmas just a little bit more special.
That is the hope anyway.

And here is part 2 of the post:

I googled 'Botokan, Quezon City' to be able to post pictures but none came up.
Places like Smokey Mountain ,Bagong Lupa, and Munting Lupa get publicity and some social workers to help but the fact is

40% of Filipinos live below the poverty line and 20% suffer food hunger

That Botokan does not get any press does not make them any less poorer, and does not make botokan children less forgotten.
I passed them every single day on my way to school.
I know they exist.
I have not forgotten.


Charity sees the need, not the cause;
and a kind and compassionate act
is often its own reward.
Let's skin it, Ches! Count me in!
You are not swimming alone on this one!
We are diving in groups. Definitely!
We cannot help everyone,
but everyone can help someone.
And I kid you not!


*help support the Helping Hams project
Spread the word!
Put this button in your blog!

Help Support

Request button code and instructions
in the comment area of this post. Thanks.




Pinoy-Blogs.com

Ranking.PinoyBlogosphere.Com


Pinoy Topsites

1 comments:

exskindiver said...

"We cannot help everyone, but everyone can help someone."
Maraming Salamat.

It's always a runout at The Runout TV!