Sunday, August 19, 2007

The AnitoKid at the SM Hypermarket: An Unforgettable Shopping Experience!

My mom used to be connected, (actually, she's one of the pioneers), with the William Golangco Construction Co., which builds the SM Shoemart chain of stores. I believe I was in the fourth grade when SM City West was being constructed. I spent that summer at the construction site, accompanying my mom and my "tito's" and "tita's" (godparents). At first, I thought it was going to be a row of townhouses because at that time, such were the "in" thing in the real estate industry. Yeah, silly little kid - didn't read the signs all around the place. And why? I guess I was always in awe watching our kababayans work. The construction site was like a well-oiled machine. Everyone knew their job. Everybody knew their role - each handling a different aspect of the construction. And before the end of my summer vacation, one of my Tito's gave me a construction hat! Twas a white one! I proudly displayed it in my room and continue to do so in one of my vehicles.

Enough of the hat thing! :) That summer was one of my most memorable ones! The time I spent with my Mom (about 60 days) allowed me to discover something I didn't know about her. Twas her sense of pride in her work that got me thinking that my Mom is an important person, not just to our immediate family, but to all those people at the construction site. Engineers, architects, foremen, construction workers, security personnel, canteen staff, and errand boys followed my Mom's instructions to the letter. She was one of those responsible for the safety aspects of the project and health of the workers. No one questioned her wisdom nor her authority. I could sense the respect that people around us had for my mom. It made me proud of my Mom. And prouder still because I learned from her the importance and value of "pakikisama". The way I see it, people respected my Mom not because of her position nor the degrees that she had under her belt. It was the way she went about job and how she dealt with people. She listened to the needs and wants of everyone, their ideas and their thoughts. She tried to accommodate each and everyone's views, yet at the same time, she knew how to politely say no without offending anyone. That's her magic! Everyone felt important! Everybody knew that my Mom was speaking from both the heart and mind - that she really did care for all those at the site. It didn't matter what your job description said - YOU and EVERYONE ELSE ARE PART of the SM FAMILY! YOU ARE ALL IMPORTANT! She made them realize that! And I kid you not! You can check the stats and all...SM CIty West has the lowest work-related injuries (construction phase) among all the SM malls built!

That summer made all the difference in my life. I guess, I am trying to relive (somehow) that experience every time me and my kids go out. Malls and stores of all shapes and sizes dot
the Philippine supermarket industry. Yes, there are countless of them in the metro, besides SM. And yeah, I've been in and out of them all my life. But let me tell you this, nothing, as in nothing, compares to the SM shopping experience!

Three SM malls are conveniently located within 4 kilometers from my place in Sucat- and in three directions of travel! There's one in Las Pinas, another in Bicutan, and of course, my family's favorite - Sucat! The SM Hypermarket in Sucat, Paranaque City, was the first to tout itself as a Hypermarket. I can't forget our first visit to the Hypermarket! Twas the start of my kids' summer vacation. As we entered the Hypermarket, I couldn't help but noticed the store's layout. Everything we needed is in one area of the mall! I've never seen anything like it! Yeah, MegaMall used to be the biggest at that time, but remember, everything is spread out at that place. The SM Hypermarket in Sucat is a totally different concept! It's like one gigantic white space filled with life's everyday needs! It didn't just have groceries, it had a department store too, smacked in the middle of it! It even featured an appliance section! And who could forget the hardware nook? Or the wet market section? Prices are reasonable! Very reasonable! I know this for a fact.
With regards to parking, it used to be free and all, but now they charge Php20 per entry. I have no qualms about it. It's still one of the lowest in the metro. No kidding!

As me and my kids made our way through the countless aisles and corners, we were greeted by this colorful display of must-haves for kids. We came upon the toys section! Yup! It's like a a mini-Toy Kingdom. Impressive! I could see heads turning left and right, up and down. All of them silent, just looking intently at the toys. You know how kids are with toys! And being a kid at heart, I, too, looked up and down, left and right! ^_^ And as an unforgettable treat for all my closenesses, each was allowed to pick a toy to bring home. Any toy! Twas like a "sky's the limit" thing for all the good grades they got in the past school year. Boy! You should have seen their faces - all filled with glee and smiles! Totally unforgettable! But what's more memorable was what my children did after choosing their respective toys. Each and everyone of them kissed and hugged me - IN PUBLIC! Natataranta pa! Yes, my kids kiss me all the time. There's the "good morning kiss," the "goodnight kiss," the "I am home, kids kiss," the "Bye Dad kiss," and the "I love you, Dad kiss." However, this was the first time that they kissed me in public! And it happened inside a SM Hypermarket! Honestly, I think it was I who got one unforgettable experience!

And do you want to know another reason why I can't forget about it? All those kisses and hugs inside the SM Hypermarket reminded me of that summer vacation, the one I accompanied my Mom for 60 days. Why so? Twas the time that I really felt close to my Mom, bonded with her and all. And twas the time that I first kissed my Mom in public. My Mom really cared for all those people. She had everyone's love and respect. I was so proud of her. Still do.


Mama, this post is for you.
With all my heart, I love you. We all love you.
Thanks for everything.


I have to end this now, friends. I'm having this fuzzy feeling. I think I have something stuck in my throat. You may want to be updated and interact with SM Hypermarket through their blog. Yes, they have a blog! And it's an interesting read. And I kid you not!


*
Friends, this piece won the Grand Prize of the first ever SM Hypermarket Bloggers Writing Contest! :)



*Did you enjoy the post? Did you find it interesting?
It's my official entry to the
SM Hypermarket Blog Writing Contest.

And oh! Please do find the time to check out my post
for the 2007 Wika Project,
Filipino: Bonding a Nation and Its People


Maraming salamat po!

69 comments:

One Wacky Mom said...

Anitokid,
Holy gees, you are quite the inspiration today! You were putting tears in my eyes. I went to the site, but it doesn't look like I can vote for you on this one. Wow...what a beauty!

YOu have to win this contest. If you don't...they need to get new judges...trust me!

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Ev, I don't know what to say. It may sound like a cliche, but "Thank you, my friend."

Win or loss, this one is for my Mom. It's another way of me saying, "Hey Ma! I love you!"

And Ev, may I just say, you are the true inspiration! I read your posts! Religiously! Your thoughts inspire me, my friend. And I kid you not!

tkkerouac said...

Always nice to see someone being good to their mom, I've just given you a vote, have a great day!

THE ANiTOKiD said...

@Mom the Minx: I guess without our moms, this world will never be as beautiful as it is right now. Much thanks for the vote, my friend! Maraming salamat po!

One Wacky Mom said...

On my tag from Mimi, where I tagged you too...
http://wackymom.blogspot.com/2007/08/mimi-pencilskirt-tagged-me-on-my.html


your new title is...
Sir Anitokid the Rustic of New Invention

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Loved it Wacky Mom! I had a good laugh with it! Will definitely do a post on this when I wake up! ha ha ha Much thanks, Ev!

kegler747 said...

No doubt that this post really comes from the heart. I love to accompany my mom sa supermarket when I'm still a kid. Pero now pinagdadrive ko nalang sya tapos nagmo-malling ako pag nasa grocery sya. Because of this post my conscience urged me to accompany my mom the next time we go to the supermarket.

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Much thanks Kegler! Dehins ko nga alam why I decided to write about it. I mean, I have so many experiences when shopping at SM, pero I just found myself typing away at my keyboard and telling it as it really happened.

And thanks for the kind words, my friend. I'm glad you liked it, bro.

Anonymous said...

I remember also when I was a Kid (and look like a kid) my Mom was the one who's paying for our groceries..
And, I'm just staring at the grocery cart if there are chocolates or any Kid stuffs for me..

As time goes by, I'm the one who's paying the groceries and my Mother is now the one who's staring at the Grocery bill...

But seriously, I was touched by your blog because you show us the soft side of Anitokid and the closeness within your family
Well, I just wish you have photos of the of that priceless moment..

Keep on Blogging..

nücì

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Know what Nuci, I have dreamed of the day that my Mom will finally retire from all our business interests and what have you and settle down for retirement. Why so? I would very much would like to experience moments like what you have just described. My Mom is so independent and I can't blame her. She wants to have an active role in our lives as a family.

I loved your comment, my friend. I have lots of pics of my kids, but I rarely post them ha ha ha. You know the reason why. :)

grumpyurbanslacker said...

touching story....but from what i have heard, the way SM treats its casual employees (salesladies, etc.) is something not so heartwarming...

THE ANiTOKiD said...

I guess there will always be two sides of a coin, kabayan. I have also heard such stories. And I have heard stories that contradicts such.

SM has a union, which is responsible for welfare of the employees, particularly the casual ones. That's one take that i have never heard before - their side of the story.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if both management and the union address such stories of sorry plight to set the record straight? Just to know if they are true or not?

Sana....sana....sana...

hxero said...

just dropping by... got ur link from DOST blogroll

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Welcome Hxero! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

thanks for this.
my blog is also Do Follow supported.
you are Welcome

Anonymous said...

really nice

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Thanks Abhi! You have one cool site, my friend! The blogroll really rolls! ha ha ha ha Awesome!

neri said...

alamat ka dre!

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Thanks for dropping by, Neri! Salamat kaibigan!

Novice Blogger said...

I have not gone to the new SM Hypermarket yet, but with your post it's like I have been there already. The association of the place with one's family is a powerful image. The equation, SM Hypermarket=Mom and Kisses is simply remarkable. It portrays that SM Hypermarket is not just a place for shoes, toys, foods, etc. but a place for loved ones.

Unknown said...

so heart warming... i remember the times when i used to accompany my parents sa grocery store masaya akong dumadampot ng kung anong gustuhin ko.. ngayon kinakabahan ako tuwing may kukunin ang parents ko, lalo na pagkasama mga kapatid ko.. alam ko kc ako na ang magbabayad..=Dhehehe.. more power to you Anitokid!

Anonymous said...

You are such a truly amazing blogger! You're one of the few chosen blogs that i check everyday. keep blogging!

p.s. this particular blog entry touched me so hard! i envy you for having a mom with you when you were still a kid... and now for having a GREAT [sweet, loving kids!] family of your own.

-bimbo

Anonymous said...

taga sucat ka pala... i live at BF homes, and yeap, i agree with you... SM sucat is a different concept and astig siya kasi may starbucks. hehehe

nice post bro!

blog on! :)

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Much thanks Novice Blogger! Malls have always been associated with family time and all, I guess. But with regards to my own personal experience with SM, it has been more personal.

Everytime I am asked at the counter if I have a SM Advantage Card, I always reply with:

"Nawala, Miss. Pero laking SM ako. Totoo! And I kid you not!

.

The Penniless Fat Guy said...

SM is great because it is the acronym of my name. I may be penniless, but SM is always my first choice. In fact, I have yet to explore the famous Trinoma. That's how loyal I am to SM. Another thing good about SM is that Anitokid wrote something about it. He has indeed mastered the art of mixing experience with creativity. Kudos to Anitokid and SM. Bring home the bacon pal!

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Hi Kim! Thanks for the nice comment, dear. I dream of the day that my Mom will retire from all that she is busy with, and my kids will finally have their Lola all to themselves. And I know that one of the places they will visit will be a SM mall. I don't know why. Could be a loyalty thing.

THE ANiTOKiD said...

@Bimbo: Much thanks for the kind words, my friend. I guess we are all blessed in some ways. Each and everyone of us. My kids love their Grandma so much. They talk at least twice week via an overseas patch. You could just imagine the bills! ha ha ha

By the way, do you have a blog, my friend? I'd love to check it out...

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Hey Austin! Thanks for the comment, bro! Magkapit-village pala tayo, ha ha ha!

At sa totoo lang, everyone is very friendly there. Even the guards are courteous and all.

Again, thanks for dropping by!

.

Anonymous said...

shopping is fun especially if these 2 things are present:

1. your mom (who I hope will foot the bill)
2. your boyfriend (to carry all the baggage and bring you home)

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Hi Sam! Oo nga, SM is an acronym of your name! How about that!

"He has indeed mastered the art of mixing experience with creativity." - Coming from you, my friend, this means a lot to me. And I kid you not!

Maraming, maraming, maraming, maraming salamat kaibigan!

Richard Du said...

First of all, kudos to your mom Anitokid! Sana nagmana ka sa kanya. Hehe!

Neway I like going to the SM West (now it is called North Edsa). When I was a kid, I always went there because it is the nearest mall near my house. I have very fond memories there. I can still remember the old setup of the mall.

As to the hypermarket, I have been to some SM hypermarkets. I have visited the hypermarket in SM Sucat just once (naliliitan tlga ko sa SM Sucat). The only thing I like in hypermarkets is that they sell cooked foods like roasted chicken. Masarap yung mga yun!

On to victory!

THE ANiTOKiD said...

@Anonymous: ha ha ha you got it right, my friend!

By the way, when my kids were between 3-6, they used to ride the grocery carts. And boy! I do I loved their smiles! I still remember the moments very clearly. And as the cart passes by the items they like, I don't have to reach out for the items - they are the ones already asking, "How many Dad?

.

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Thanks Richard! My mom will be surprised with this! She still doesn't know that I made a post for her. Going to tell her on her birthday - I'm planning it as a surprise for her.

Sana magmana ang mga anak ko sa kanya, bro. Totoo.

And hey! We have another thing in common! The roasted chicken! Fave namin ang teriyaki variant! Nagsimula siya sa Php89, ngayon Php110-120 na. Ok pa rin. Whenever me and my kids want take out food for dinner, we always drop by SM and get 4 pieces of roasted chicken! With lots of extra gravy siyempre!


Gutom tuloy ako!

.

paintsketch said...

Nice to read something like this- a true to life experience that's really inspiring for everybody...

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Hey Shen! Thanks dear! Thanks for taking time out to read my post and leaving your thoughts!

Much thanks, dear!

.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on winning the contest! Have fun in KL! :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's so nice to see something like this dedicated to your mom. Really impressive.

Anonymous said...

Hey I just found your blog and just wanted to send out a friendly hello! :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful writing! No wonder you won. Congrats! :-)

THE ANiTOKiD said...

@Nina: Much thanks, kabayan! Maraming salamat for the congratulatory note. Am still in cloud 9 :) ha ha ha

THE ANiTOKiD said...

@Make Money Online: Thanks for lovin' it, my friend. Much thanks for dropping by.

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Thanks! And Hi Tom! Hope you like what you see! :)

THE ANiTOKiD said...

@Manuel: Much thanks, kabayan! Maraming salamat talaga!

.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You deserve it!

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Thanks Lolo! Maraming salamat po! :)

.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! :) You missed a heckuva party, though.

Jehzeel Laurente said...

sobrang ganda ng experience mo kabayan :D and i kid you not.. nakaka inspire :D

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Maraming salamat Jehzeel! Sa totoo lang, I don't know what to say, kabayan. Nakakataba ng puso. At ramdam ko supporta mo kagabi for me. Salamat talaga! Maraming maraming maraming maraming salamat kaibigan!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sir,

Congrats for topping it all!
You really deserved it!

More power to you!

Johnny

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Thanks Johnny! Do drop by again, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

We live a few minutes away from SM North EDSA. I can probably go there even if only in my mind, having memorized where most of the shops are, :D

Have you been to The Block? They tore down the Annex to build a new building.

Enjoy your prize and post photos! :)

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Thanks Julie! Me too! I used to know the place like the back of my hand. :)

Really? No, I didn't know that they tore down the Annex to make way for a new one. SM could be making way for a grander one...

Anonymous said...

congratulations, now i know -- you are an SM baby (big baby!)

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Much thanks Sexy Mom! :)

Heart of Rachel said...

Followed your link from Sexy Mom's site. Congratulations for such a well deserved win.

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Much thanks Rachel! Hope to see you around....:)

Rakhi India said...

wow, I think You had much enjoyed.

Modern Furniture said...

Nice Post. thanks For the Info. I really Enjoy.

חרדה said...

Great writing. really nice. thanks.

Pos Software  said...

Wonderful writing! Really impressive.

THE ANiTOKiD said...

@Rakhi India:

Many thanks for the kind words!

:)

THE ANiTOKiD said...

@Modern Furniture:

Thanks!



:)

THE ANiTOKiD said...

@Pos Software:

Thank you very much!


:)

Bands said...

I also love to shoping with my Mom and Dad. Here some good opportunity and information so would love at same time.

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Many thanks, Bands!

:)

Send Rakhi Online said...

Thanks for sharing this, Looks great

Mesothelioma said...

Great Post. thanks For the Informative article. I really enjoy.

dental implants said...

nice read! thanks, from the uk

Fashion Reading Glasses said...

Such Good and Informative Article. Thanks For Posting.

It's always a runout at The Runout TV!