Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Manny Pacquiao: Towards David Diaz and Oscar dela Hoya!

From what I’ve read and saw on television, Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, aka The Pacman, prefers David Diaz above anyone else. A third fight with Mexico’s Juan Manuel Marquez is not high on the WBC superfeatherweight champion’s agenda, at least not for his next fight in June or July 2008. Manny Pacquiao believes that if he fights Juan Manuel Marquez soon, it may appear to be too personal between them. However, Manny also stressed that the fans will get what they want, and all things put aside, everything depends on the promoters. And the price, of course! A third one with Marquez is rumored to net the Filipino boxer a cool $8-10 million! I guess the Unfinished Business is neither over nor finished!

Manny Pacquiao Image*much thanks to Gang for the pic

All roads lead to Manny Pacquiao moving up in weight (lightweight, 135 lbs) and challenge American-Mexican David Diaz, giving the Filipino pugilist a shot at a fourth world title in different divisions. The other possible candidates are Joel Casamayor and Edwin Valero. Or even those in the heavier divisions? I remember reading about Manny Pacquiao’s intentions of fighting at 150 lbs (welterweight). “It’s where the stronger, better fighters are,” Manny said. Prominent names that instantly come to mind with regards to the higher weight divisions include Oscar dela Hoya, Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather. Wow! That's a tough group in my book!

My only concern about Manny Pacquiao’s decision to move up in weight is his speed. Now, dont get me wrong, I’m all out for Manny! I admire his strong will and determination to succeed! Pacquiao remains the most exciting and most expensive boxer in his division. He has become the only boxer in the continent to win titles in three different weight divisions! Manny Pacquiao fought and had beaten everybody that crossed his path, including the best of them! These include Mexicans Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera, who he beat twice each, and Juan Manuel Marquez, once in two encounters – cementing the claim that he is indeed one of the best, if not the best pound-pound boxer in this era! As I’ve said, my only concern at this point in time is Pacman’s speed. I fear that a further move up will make Manny Pacquiao flatfooted and predictable. And may I be wrong on this one! These are just my concerns. No more. No less. And I kid you not!

I guess everything remains to be seen - for now.



"The AnitoKid loves boxing!"

*Did you enjoy the post? Did you find it interesting?
You know what to do...:)

Add to Technorati Favorites

Get news and updates!
It's fast! It's free!
And I kid you not!

Enter your email address

0 comments:

It's always a runout at The Runout TV!