Wednesday, April 4, 2007

BDO - Balance inquiry? Debit my account? just press OK!

ooops!
banco de oro's
(BDO) atm system lets
BDO cash card international cardholders
make balance inquiries and withdrawals
without the need for their personal identification number (PIN)!!!

*after inserting my card in a BDO atm machine
at Sotto St., Makati, to make a balance inquiry,
i mistakenly pressed the OK button before entering my PIN.
to my surprise, the machine took me to the selections menu
where i successfully made a balance inquiry and withdrawal !!!

this is a BIG concern for all such cardholders...
either the cards are defective
or bdo's security measures aimed
at preventing fraud and theft
are flawed or have been breached.

bdo people! please look into this matter immediately!

*the anitokid asked four of his friends
to try their respective bdo cards
and all had the same results! tsk.


- o -

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not really trust those cash cards, prepaid payment cards, debit cards, including those Mastercard Electronic and Visa Electron cards. These cards can also be used to purchase goods by just anyone who can imitate your signature. Security is definitely not much of a concern for these card issuers as the money is pre-loaded by the depositor/consumer, and dispensed without much monitoring and control among banks.

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Hi Success!

Yeah, the cards are indeed PIN-based, that I do not dispute (i even mentioned it in my post). However, the fact of the matter is that the bank's own system overrides the PIN security measure when a cardholder presses the OK button (even though the cardholder hasn't entered his/her PIN yet). Pressing the OK button on the ATM machine (even without entering PIN) takes the ATM user to the selection menu and allows the user to freely make balance inquiries and withdrawals.

Anonymous said...

if ever your atm card gets stolen ... patay na. wala ng trying to guess your pin pa.

Anonymous said...

this is serious. hopefully, not too many ATM machines have this defect.

we're in the world of plastics. there are benefits in doing cashless transactions rather than bringing huge amount of cash at times. i make it a point to keep my cards in a safe place, even the transaction slips. pero nakaka-praning pa rin.

what i hate though is that some merchants have printed receipts with the complete details of the transaction: 16 digit card number, complete name of cardholder and expiration date of the card. (i mean this 3 information is sometime the minimum requirement to order or purchase stuff online). So bad trip, na nasa receipt lang yan ng SM or Landmark, for example.

Anonymous said...

that's strange... cos I just tried using my bdo cash card now and it's asking for a PIN.

Anonymous said...

I'm just trying to look for a balance inquiry online and I found this blog.. Strange!! This never happened to me. (yet!) Oh well, I hope this'll get to BDO Staff and Manager's attention before it leads BDO account holders to any harm.... tsk

THE ANiTOKiD said...

@Love Ison:
I think they fixed the concern already. :)
.

Anonymous said...

how can i check my balance in my account i was here at abroad how can i get tru in your internet banking system thanks

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Best thing to do is contact your bank for details, buddy.

:)

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that article. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. BTW, try to add some images :).

It's always a runout at The Runout TV!